Sunday 6 April 2008

Sweeping The Tombs

About a week ago, which seemed so long ago, my family decided to visit the tombs of my grandparents and granduncle as part of the annual Ching Ming (tomb sweeping) festival. To me, I am often fascinated by the dead, no thanks to the supernatural elements attachment I often picture when people talk about graveyards.

By the way, the jam started about 11-12 kilometres away and it was only 6.30am when we got off SILK!

According to my dad, Ching Ming is usually held on either April 4th or 5th and the because of the changing times, people have extended the festival from 1 to 3 days affair to 10 days before and after April 4th or 5th affair. Which is a good thing considering mom had to be operated later the week and she might have missed it if not for this 10-day leeway.

The entrance...
while the lion guards the entrance...

Anyway, this particular festival is linked to the deep rooted Confucius teachings on venerating the ancestors. This is the day where families gather together to clean and sweep the tombs, offer burnt offerings, food and flowers as well as pray for blessings for those who are still living, hoping the ancestors and the dead will bless the living.

Malaysia Boleh!

To me, as a Christian, I stopped praying the dead since I accepted Christ. It is kind of hard, being the only Christian in the family and they don't quite understand why can't I give respect by merely holding the joss stick even if I don't believe in it. Well, despite all the explanations on why we are told not to worship the dead, to them, it is still disrespectful but they have since accepted my shortcomings. Meanwhile, I only silently step aside, do what I can do i.e. locate the tombs, carry the offerings from the car, cut overgrown weeds and clean the tombs (quite irrelevant for my grandparents tombs since they are maintained by NV Multi Corporation Berhad).

It has been awhile since I last saw the sun rise...

As I survey the area, it has changed over the years, there are more dead resulted in more visitors and NY Multi Corporation being listed in Bursa Malaysia. Nonetheless, this memorial park remains peaceful and quiet, perhaps a good place to indeed have final rest.

The stone maiden looks onward to the other tombs...

My mom always said it is not good for the living to occupy the land meant for the dead. I guess why she said that is because the living should not deprive rest for the dead. Oh well, I as a counter argument while we are still living and uncertain when we will exactly die, what's wrong with hedging against inflation?


Yup, it is basically increasing at 8.4% per annum since 1990. Not bad considering banks only offer 3.7% for 12-month fixed deposits placement.

On that note, I told my sister I prefer cremation and scattering the ashes into the sea. Less hassle, one-off event (since I only live once and after that to judgement) and cheaper as well...:P

1 comment:

Born2Reign said...

We should not cry over those who are lying in the graves, but those who are facing death everyday. Death means separation from God, and this applies to Christians and non-Christians who do not have a relationship with God.

Lord, I seek to see you face to face, everyday.