Tuesday 22 April 2008

Mob or Written Law Rule?

I am not sure about you but I face this moral dilemma on a daily basis. On a highway where the speeding limit is 90 kmph, would you drive in excess of that? I know I try to resist but at times, one just can't avoid it. I felt guilt but I often justify it by saying I am rushing to get to that place or that the car in front of me was crawling.

What if a man steals bread to feed his hungry family, is his action right or wrong? Imagine if this is the Great Depression and unemployment rate burst through the roof. The country has no welfare system and people are dying of hunger on daily basis. So, if you are that guy, will you steal a piece of bread to feed your hungry family who have not eaten for days?

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/south_asia/517195.stm

Some of you may take the moral high road and say you will rather starve and die. Well, to be honest I wouldn't dare to say that until I personally experience that.

Now imagine you are a resident in Bandar Mahkota Cheras and decided one day you are fed up with traffic jams and decides to break down a barrier to get the free-toll access road? Would you do it? The Star Online reported 700 angry and fed up residents unanimously agrees to ignore the stop work order and demolish it the barrier. I understand many felt very strongly about suffering terrible jam on daily basis. They felt oppressed by a corporation which is uncaring and only concern about their own profits.

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/4/22/central/21018841&sec=

As much we would like to paint the picture we are fighting against a demon, where do we draw the line when it comes to obeying the law? Is mob rule sufficient to overwrite the established principles in which we first commit to live by?

I felt sorry for the residents in Cheras. I personally know what it is like having to face chronic jam on daily basis. Which is why, in my own civil "disobedience" manner, I too, ended up driving above the speed limit. Am I right in my actions? I know I am not. At times such as this, I certainly live in fear of getting caught. Some get high by the sense of danger. I just prefer to get to my destination on time with little hassle and jam free.

3 comments:

Marlboro Man said...

The first thing I wanted to do was to thank the author for making such a beautiful blog! No one could have done it better! Thank you very much for the pictures which are on the page. They are splendid! I will surely add your blog to my links and will always visit the web page you’ve created!

Anonymous said...

Hello. This post is likeable, and your blog is very interesting, congratulations :-). I will add in my blogroll =). If possible gives a last there on my blog, it is about the Dieta, I hope you enjoy. The address is http://dieta-brasil.blogspot.com. A hug.

myop101 said...

Dear marlboro man and dieta,

Thanks.