Friday 4 April 2008

Even In Sickness, Mom Cares

I didn't manage to key in any entry yesterday as I was hit with an agonising fever. I suspect it is the curry puffs I took but then again, I didn't vomit or had diarrhea. As I struggle for the rest of the afternoon at work, I couldn't focus on work. I sensed the then impending illness as my body slowly showed signs of its intrusion. Firstly, the discomfort in the tummy, then the finger tips turned cold followed by the headache. I quickly took 1 panadol from our office First Aid kit and it helped somewhat.

I was worried. The first thing that went across my mind was about the meeting with client tomorrow. Also, can I drive home? Surprisingly, despite the body aches and shivering, I managed to.

Mom asked if I have seen the doctor? I said not yet, perhaps later. I never got to do it for the rest of the night as I laid on my bed in agony and cold.

Anyway, I quickly went to my room. I decided to sweat it out. I knew that once I start to sweat, the illness will subside. But somehow, despite sleeping under thick layers of blankets, I could not get a single sweat out. I can't move much, it is rather painful actually to shift sleeping position no thanks to the cold and body aches.

Source: http://www.irandokht.com/forum_subs/forumarticles.php?forumID=6&sectionID=11

Mom walked in and she was worried with what she saw. She touched my forehead and held my hands while she said, "You must see the doctor now, your forehead is burning and your hands are so cold". Mom did what every mother will do. She worries for her child in sickness. She gave me a hot drink soaked in ginger. She rubbed my back. She asked me to drink more water. She asked my wife to help me to put on additional clothings.

She is worried alright and you can see it written all over her face. Looking at me like that, she couldn't do much. She knew it is my own battle. Later, when I started sweating and the fever slowly subsided, mom is relieved. Mom then said,"I think you need rest. Don't work tomorrow and stay at home. I think the hospital is not suitable for you so stay at home and rest."

And you know what? The irony is, mom will have to battle her own tomorrow. Yet she doesn't mind going through alone. Yes, my dad will be there and so is my sister. Even in her own sickness, she still thought about my welfare. And instead of mom, the first thought that went across my mind is about the meeting with my client tomorrow when I realised I am falling sick. I must be a disappointing child if she can read my thoughts.

Anyhow, I replied by saying I will still go. I told her the fever is subsiding and she doesn't have to worry about me. At that moment, it is comforting, when in agony and pain, you see your loved ones around you trying to do whatever they can to provide relief, support and care. Despite the fact that they can't do much, whatever they can, it is enough to tell me I am not in it alone and whether that illness will be a life or death issue, or I am going to miss my meetings, it is not important anymore.

So, to my mom, I will be there too because she deserves to know she is not alone facing this battle. Even if all they can do is to stand there, waiting, worrying and praying for the next few hours about the outcome of the surgery.

No comments: