Sunday 27 April 2008

Little Napoleons : Well & Alive Despite Change in Government?

After meeting with our client on Friday, my boss and I decided to have lunch in a food court centre in Taman Desa, Kuala Lumpur. We seldom do this by the way because most of the time, I eat with my peers (i.e. those from the bottom of the food chain). So while having our lunch, we decided to talk about our nation's current affairs.

Perhaps I am naive but I told him I look forward to September 16. Perhaps on that day, Malaysians can truly celebrate Malaysia Day where reforms and changes will finally come.

My enthusiasm however, was met with a cynical observation. My boss is of the view that regardless of the political parties that come to power, 1 or 2 generations of mediocre mindset has afflicted the entire government machinery (READ: Civil Service) and he doubts any political parties can really change how things are being done. He also felt setting up commissions and creating new laws will not bring about real changes.


I have to admit, I overlooked that part of the equation. Has this country reach such a hopeless state? A docile judiciary subservient to the executive while the executive powerless against its own little Napoleons running loose in their respective ministries, departments and agencies?

I don't have a solution in sight. Much as I would like to see some civil servants getting sack for their failures to perform up to standard, it is too simplistic and I doubt will have lasting effect. Real change requires paradigm shift in mindset and mentality but how do one reform a complacent workforce which have been blamed for having an agenda of its own and yet, no one to keep them in check?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How can we change the paradigms of a mindset that is 50 years old with a mere possible change in the government? The political masters may have changed but the group that implements the policies (read: civil service) remain the same. It will take some time. Success will come only if people have faith and continue to accept change. We must continue to dream for the country, for the older generation's sake. They have suffered much and are therefore more skeptical and cynical.

myop101 said...

Dear bayi,

It is true that to change things overnight will be wishful thinking. But will we as a nation be willing to bear with the pains of prolonged and slow grinding change?

I guess we have only each other and we should encourage one another in this arduous journey ahead.