Thursday 3 April 2008

A Personal Reflection: Less Than 2 More Days To Go...

This morning, a colleague of mine asked how is my mom doing. I have also been receiving calls and SMSes the past few days asking about updates. Over the past two weeks or so, many kind and comforting words have been conveyed to me. I would like to thank all of the well wishers for the care and prayers.

I have not updated much on my mom because we are basically waiting for the operation which is scheduled on this Friday. Mom is per her usual self, going to friends house once in a while to chat and play gin rummy to pass time, doing to the day market to buy the groceries and such.

Deep down, we try to put it behind our minds about the coming operation. We know it is inevitable hence my family surrender it to their gods while my wife and I to the good Lord and pray that the surgeon will do her best.

Source: http://www.secretrecipe.com.my/secretrecipe/catalog/exchange/html/Mango_Delight.html

Like today, we celebrated my dad's birthday per the Chinese calendar (unlike the previous years where we followed the Gregorian calendar). Mom personally bought the cake from Secret Recipe, unlike in previous years where it is usually my sister or myself. She knows Dad loves mangoes so she went for the Mango-Delight. After singing the birthday song, Dad made a long wish before blowing out the candles. Deep down, we all know what is his primary wish. In fact, we all wish for the same whether it is our birthdays or not.

Wouldn't it be good if by blowing out the candles, our wishes do come true for once? It might be wishful thinking but at times like this, I can't help but continue to ask, "Why? Why Lord? Why?" Yet, lessons from my own sufferings tells me that He allows for suffering not because He doesn't love us but because He loves us enough that, in allowing for things like this to happen, we know we are ultimately mere creatures that are truly not in control of things around us. That our pursuit of material wealth and physical well being, to the detriment of those around us, would need to take a backseat as we need to rethink of what is our purpose here.


Meanwhile, I am fully aware that it is less than 2 days to go to the surgery. I could neither hasten the surgery nor quicken the recovery process but I certainly want to see the new dawn when mom will be walking about being her usual self fully recovered.

2 comments:

zewt said...

dunno what to say besides the fact that... everything is in His hands.

myop101 said...

dear zewt,

don't really need to say much really...:)

had fever last night, a really bad one (you know, feel like it is damn cold when you are under few 2 layer of blanket and not sweating while shivering and sweating) and my body is still aching at this moment (fever subsided but having mild headache). the funny thing is, i decide to only leave early today after work to see my mom. but turns out now i can go even earlier. how convenient right?

sometimes, God's timing in allowing events to happen is "weird" (Sorry Lord but it is to me).

to that, even when I am sick, I praise the Lord!