Sunday 9 December 2007

Walking in the morning

I hate waking up early mornings especially on weekends. It is bad enough as I have to wake up at 6.20 a.m. from Mondays to Fridays, what more on weekends? Anyway, today is an exception. Both my friend and I took a stroll down Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman from Sogo Complex to Central Market at 8 a.m. I was wearing a black t-shirt with two yellow strips of yellow. Bad idea. Never wear black if you are going for a walk. Absorbs too much heat. What more for a person like me (yes, I know. I am fat)?

Anyway, lo and behold guess what I encountered? Lots of like minded people were gathering at the same spot. Wow. Is this another Bigfoot's doing?

If you noticed across the road, there is a swarm of police personnel encircled a tiny group of people. I suspect those are the lawyers who decided to continue with the now cancelled, hence illegal People's Freedom Walk.

Now noticed the lady raising a paper placard for the oncoming drivers to read her message? I couldn't read what she wrote and I am only 5 metres away. I suggest using deeper, bolder and darker colours and she should have used a wooden stick to raise her placard. Right now her hands must be tired and it also covered some of the things she wrote. Hmm...


This guy being interviewed here looked familiar to me but I couldn't pin down who he is. My friend said he is one of the Hindraf lead guys. Oh well, I am not sure so I am not going to speculate on it. Afterall, I have hard time proving my Bigfoot theory (it has basis ok since we did disturb his habitat with our state sanctioned "Visit Malaysia Year" promotion and every friendly park rangers leading people to his home). What I wish to highlight though is the presence of large number of reporters who seemed to not be able to get enough of him...:)

Anyway, I estimated that there is about 200 people gathered there (together with the police and the reporters). I am not sure what they are talking about but since I am there, I decided to take some photos. Not too bad shots right? Yes, I am only using my Sony Ericsson W580i.

Anyway, around 8.10 am, the walk started. Apparently, the police gave the green light for them to start marching. Wow. Now I get to walk with 100 odd people...:) Ok, so the 40,000 odd on 10 November 2007 is bigger and yes, I was wearing pink, but hey, at least I have streaks of yellow this time right?

Anyway, as we walked together with the marchers, they stopped next to the Coliseum cinema. It turns out there is a policeman standing there telling them to disperse. He was rattling something about this being an illegal gathering. I wanted to take a picture but those pesky reporters and their camera personnels, who are so happened to be taller, are blocking the view. Oh well, we both decided to continue walking. Just then we heard someone screaming, "Walk! Walk!". The crowd, as though electrified, just walk pass the policeman. I guess in their minds they must have thought this policeman is being illogical since their march have been peaceful and their assembly is constitutional by default per Article 10 of the Constitution of Malaysia. The Constitution should of course be paramount compared to some Police Act. This is afterall the general understanding that ordinary rakyat on the street like you and me would understand.

Anyway, we soon reach the cross junction where Jalan Tun Perak intersects with Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman. We turn left together with the marchers when they are again stopped by the police. These policemen and women are persistent. In fact, we saw many are running from behind. One thing we noticed is absent is the intimidating, baton-meets-transparent shield hitting FRU personnels and water cannon trucks.

As we walk pass them, I decided to turn round to take a look. They looked so little and distant. This is of course different from the 10 November 2007 march where thousands get personal firsthand account of the effects of being sprayed with chemical laced water and fired with tear gas cannisters. Anyhow, I must give credit to DBKL for keeping the streets clean. Good job! I will learn to not grumble when I pay my local council assessments. Coming back to the fate of the marchers, about 30 minutes ago, I read in Malaysiakini that 8 were arrested. I didn't personally witness it as we were both hungry and we want to reach Central Market to maximise our carb burning activity.

Be that as it may, we did stop to take a picture of this beautiful picture of serenity.


Tells you a lot about what we, as a people, can do it we put our hearts and minds into conservation. We finally reached Central Market and decided to go to a place, a food landmark famous for its beef brisket noodles and egg tarts.

It is a nice morning walk. If you have a chance, you should try it. Helps one to refresh one's memory of Kuala Lumpur.

5 comments:

zewt said...

you are really into this huh. still surprise why bar council pulled out its 'endorsements'.

200... that's why no FRU la.

Anonymous said...

what a sad day ...
For once, I really feel ashame to be a Malaysian .

myop101 said...

dear...

zewt: hehe... i love walking. i can't help it. something i have been doing quite a lot when i was studying and nowadays i don't...:)

some bloggers said there are 500 police personnel. sounds a bit too many for me but they might be right. i was afterall walking with my friend and we so happen to cross path with the marchers.

CW: i am ashamed too. only in Malaysia on human rights day where you find people get arrested for supporting human rights.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, my bad. That Indian guy was Sivarasa Rasiah. He was one of the 5 lawyers arrested.

myop101 said...

Dear lyl,

I noticed too after I did an internet search. But to remain truthful to the accounts, I left it as such...:) Didn't know we actually started walking at 8 a.m. My watch must be much quicker that I though...:P