Monday 10 December 2007

The Pretenders

Have any of you dream of becoming someone other than yourself? My best friend once told me that he wished he has a mask where he can be someone other than himself and do whatever he wants to do, without scrutiny or face questioning. I guess in some ways, when we are online, we put on masks. We become someone other than who we often present ourselves in front of our family, friends, colleagues, bosses, customers and such and perhaps, like me, hopes to keep our identity hidden yet somehow wants to reveal apart of ourselves for all to see.

Source:http://personalpropertyregistry.com/PoliceForces.htm

I hide however not because I refuse to be accountable. In fact, many of you would know who I am. I hide because I distrust people at large. Why? I guess when one is hurt before for being gullible and compassionate, one can't help to be wary and cynical. I am one of those fools who got cheated by RM100 for helping out a poor fellow who claimed to have been robbed and he can't get his clothes and personal belongings from the hotel room he rented until he settles his bill. Yes, I am that naive and at that time, I only have RM130 at that moment and I am short of cash for the rest of the month.

I have a heart for the weak and helpless. Easy target in this country I must admit. I once even applied a credit card and take on an insurance policy because I pity this guy who just started out working. He looked like he needed some help to get his career started. For that I stupidly paid about RM2K before deciding to cancel that policy much later. Well, it hurts when one gets into debt for such silly actions and I certainly learn from it. It took me time but I guess I know myself better. I am not saying the credit card + insurance agent is a cheater but I feel cheated out of my own dimwit action. Not his fault really, he is just making a living.

Source: http://www.bloglines.com/blog/Marcus-Lasance

But how would you feel if your identity is stolen? Imagine you wanted to apply for an identification card as you are now of age. The National Registration Department informs you that your identity has been registered by someone else and you are not who you claim to be. How would you defend yourself? How will you tell people that you are John/Jane? Yes you have a birth certificate but so what? The NRD already said your identity has been taken. To top it of, they tell you to apply under a whole new identity. Shocking isn't it? You can't register to study in a school, you can't open a bank account, you can't apply for driving licence, you can't even apply for work and much more. For that matter, how can you go for an interview when the guard asks for your identity card and you tell them you have none? You are no longer you. You might just be a clueless alien with no name. Sadly, this is the story of Siti Rosita Mustapah. To make matters worse, the NRD officer in Sandakan, allegedly out of convenience told this 19 year old lady to just change her identity. Instead of starting a case and investigate and find out who is the real impostor, we read the lackadaisical, sikap-tidak-apa way of doing things. I am sadden. Deeply sadden.

If I am cheated knowingly because I am gullible, stupid and greedy, I know I deserve it. But is this the case for Ms Siti? One must wonder, how secure can our fellow Malaysian feel if who they are as a person can easily be traded and switched around? It is sad, very sad indeed.

I read that NRD Putrajaya will probe into this matter. Well, for Ms Siti and the rest of rakyat sake, NRD must sort out this matter quickly and catch the real impostor. Please charge the impostor, let him/her have a fair and speedy trial. If he/she is an illegal immigrant, please send him/her back to their home nation.

No comments: