Tuesday 11 December 2007

Till our paths cross again

I have worked for numerous organisations which ranges from small local setup with less than 20 to a large multinational global organisation with 100,000 employees. In all of them, without fail, you will find a hierarchy which dictates how things flow from the top to the bottom and from the bottom, feeding information to the top. So like it or not, I always work for a boss. For each and everyone of us we will always have a boss be it a supervisor, a manager, CEO, board of directors or shareholders. A lot of people will tell me that they don't have a boss, they work for themselves. Well, to be honest, your customers are your bosses. Even at home, your wife and/or kids can boss you around. We are basically creatures of servitude whether we admit it or not.

In this kind of relationship, one can only pray and hope that one's boss is not the type that demands for respect out of authority and loves to pick on every little thing you do. I have heard of horrible bosses who goes to the ground not so much to dirty their hands to aid their employees, but rather to dirty their hands to inspect the odometer of their employees' cars to check that their mileage claims are correct. I have even seen bosses who threaten their employees with cancellation of their marriage leave if they can't finish their work in time despite having other people around to assist. Personally, I have been yelled at with foul languages and told to flush my head down the toilet just because my ex-boss can't bring himself to admit that he has overlooked something in the past and it came back to haunt him. I am only a messenger, so please don't shoot me seems all too distant to him when I told him the bad news. I had my fair share but today's story is not about bad bosses.




Rather, I have such high regard for my boss that I am so sad she is leaving my team soon.




Source:http://blueridgeblog.blogs.com/

To be honest, I am very bad at remembering names. As you should know, I have recently join my current employment and I have a problem remembering names. I was introduced to my then future boss but I was only assigned a week later to her. To be honest, I had to ask around to know who she is. How embarrassing right?

She never strike me as a person who commands authority at first glance. Rather, she looked unapproachable if she doesn't smile. I actually think twice at times when I walk down the corridor to approach her. The fact that she sits in a room which directly faces the approaching corridor is, to many, a bad fengshui. Too much bad chi will enter these kind of entrance, some say, though I don't believe in fengshui. Anyway, behind her is a large panel window which allows for morning sunlight to shine on her. Now, if you are walking down the corridor to her room, you only see an image of a person sitting down busy doing her work with bright lights shining on her. That look is certainly imposing to me. But all she needs to do at times is merely to smile and you would feel the warmth emanating from her. Is she for real? Well, I have judged many just by a single first impression and so far, she has been more than real to me.

Source:http://msspnexus.blogs.com/mspblog/2007/01/ten_reasons_emp.html

When I first reported to her I will be working under her, she took her time to sit down and explain my role clearly and patiently. She took me in as her own team even from that instant though I sensed she too, would need a confirmation that I would be able to be a team player. Afterall, a healthy relationship only works if it is both ways. To put it in a more cynical manner, I scratch your back, you scratch mine.

Yet, there is something different about her. Without denying, everyone subscribe to the scratching principle to some extent in one's life. It is only to be expected. Yet, she is principled. She only scratches as far as it doesn't affect her integrity or the organisation's. Also, the way she treats me is less of a subordinate but more of a team player. How is that different, you may ask? Think of it this way, in a team, you have a captain and this captain is my boss. She is there by virtue of appointment by the management who knows she is capable. Yet, she has never worn that big hat that says,"I am YOUR BOSS so do what I say." Rather, she wears a nice cap that says, "I am your boss no doubt but hear me out and think about it. Decide for yourself if the course of action is right." She acts, above all else, a mentor and a guide and she allows us to make mistakes only to the extent that it doesn't hurt us beyond repair.

I remember clearly when I presented my first assignment. I see in her face a sense of disapproval. I am afterall supposed to be experienced but I can see myself faltering as I didn't present it well. Yet she doesn't scold me. Instead, she gave me pointers on what would be helpful to be presented before the upcoming committee meeting. I am grateful yet ashamed. Grateful because she doesn't scold me, ashamed because I did a boo boo. I told her later of course, but her words will always stick in my head, "It is your first case, it is ok." In fact, I would learn later that when there are screw-ups, she doesn't try to find the root causes and go on and on for an hour or more on how to ensure no such future errors will occur, but rather, how to be truthful to the superiors above her and yet present a solution to the present problem. She gave us chances and accepted that we are only human.

Being a person few with criticism yet generous with genuine praises, you can't help but feel happy to have a boss like her. Her criticism when given, is justified and yet not harsh to make the rest of your day gloomy. Instead, I felt compelled to reflect on how not to disappoint her next time because deep down, the trust given is not only earned but cherished.

Importantly, she doesn't mind dirtying her hands to help out. She doesn't mind covering for you to amend your reports when you are not around because you took annual leave. She doesn't delegate it or call you to come back to amend it because she sees her other team members busy with their work. Sure, she has to slog a few more hours past the official working hours and yes, she too has a family, but she knows where she can afford to help, she would. If you somehow lost your words when questioned by your committee on your cases, do not be surprised if she is the first to speak to cover for you. In fact, she has done it on numerous occasions.

Another thing that strikes me about her is that she cares not just for you. She cares for your family too. She is personally interested to know you other half and share your life with her. She once took the whole team out for lunch and told me that the cake sold in that restaurant is delicious. She then bought one and said,"This is for your mom." and smiled.

Some people, after working for years, have a power trip ego. Not my boss. She is so humble yet firm when it affects the integrity of either the company or her. I am so proud to have such a boss. I thank God for her and pray that He will bless her mightily indeed.

Yet, one fine afternoon, we were called to the meeting room under the guise of department meeting. I brought along my pencil and notepad. I forgot my assigned work list. I went back to get it. Then I sat down. She calmly said,"I call this meeting to inform you I am leaving this company." We were shocked. I was dumbfounded. It was only about 4.5 months I have her as my boss. She informed us that she is actually being transferred to the holding company and in her new role, she will be travelling a lot. I see, she is playing with semantics. But the loss is real. She will no longer be our boss. The sense of shock was slowly replaced by loss. She told us how the change will be a relief to her after working in this team for many years. Yet, her eyes betrayed her solemn yet professional look. She too, was sad. Her smile is a front to keep us brave and strong. At that point in time, I can see all her sad faced proteges attempting, yet failing, to put up a brave face and appear cheerful. One literally had tears in her eyes. The other, well, she is as silent as a rock. The sense of loss were profound. The team basically lost the will to work for the rest of day. Our boss told us to keep it under wraps because the management has not decided to inform the rest of the company just yet. She decided to tell us early because apparently some clients know about it and may inevitably ask us. She wants us to find out from her, not from outsiders.

Source: http://www.calvarytemplewayne.com/min_singles.htm

I couldn't blog on that on that day itself since no one is to know other than our team mates. Yet, the sense of loss has never really diminish. It is merely a matter of time when it slowly seeps away, where change is effected and inevitable. I will miss my boss. I am not sure what more can I say. "She is the best I ever had" is kind of corny but honestly that is what I feel. I only hope someday our paths will cross again.

No comments: