Tuesday 6 May 2008

Starting a new project while serving the notice?

I tendered today.

Leaving my present employment for greener pasture. There is no push factor but given the events that transpired today, I realised a push factor is in the works.

Anyway, I gave my current employer a 2 weeks short notice. Why 2 weeks? Why not 24 hours? Well I could leave in 24 hours. My new employer is paying for it. But they are unwilling to let me go. They cite various reasons why 2 weeks is too short of a notice. It ranges from need to do a proper handover (which is not a problem considering most of my projects are at the completion stage), informing the clients (again, I only need to call a handful) and training up the newbies to take over (yeah, apparently all they need is 3 months of training to catch up).

I spoke to the CEO. He said he is fine so long as my present boss is ok with it. My present boss said he will need to speak to my manager.

Source: http://www.pensabah.gov.my/dasar/isuair_bi.htm

And his conclusion?

I have to start a new project. And see to it until the end. Then only he considers whether I can go.

So that will most probably take at least a month. Yes, he wants nothing less than a month notice. But he is using another way to get it. It doesn't seem to occur to him that out of spite I might screw the project. Or that I will just dilly dally until the full notice are served.

The question is, what should I do?

Then came the realisation. Remember the part on Mahathir raising the whole issue we are selling cheap water to Singapore which he then up the ante by asking for an even higher price? Yup, I am pulling a Mahathir.

I am giving 24 hours notice.

You have to hand it to that guy. His wisdom applies even if it is not related to water. Afterall, my new employer is paying for it. Why not right?

8 comments:

bayi said...

All the best. I hope you will be happier in your new job.

myop101 said...

dear bayi,

thanks...:)

Anonymous said...

what's this?? the decision-making chain goes the opposite way?? are you saying that it's your manager, and not your CEO or your boss, that'll determine your fate? tsktsktsk...

Seaqueen said...

Eh?? Where are you going?? You must really dislike your boss huh?? And he's really mean to do this to you as a well.

myop101 said...

dear

anon @ 6:14pm: weird right? i always thought CEOs make decisions for the company. apparently it is not for this organisation...sigh...

seaqueen: i was pissed with the starting the whole new project crap. this is his tactic of trying to make me stay at his pleasure. sorry la... i am straight.

Seaqueen said...

Yes. I agree. It's a very very dirty tactic. Hehehehe!!

Chicken Feet aka KaKiaYam said...

careful brother...thread with care...

myop101 said...

Dear

seaqueen: well, he obviously has no choice now that Mahathir's trick worked...:P

chicken feet aka kakiayam: yeah, I am threading with care but i am pushed to a corner. sigh... what to do. he is asking for an unlimited short notice. is there such a thing?