Thursday 22 May 2008

The Blame Game

I don't know about you but I am guilty of the blame game sometimes. Afterall, isn't it convenient to blame others for the problems we face?

I lament that the air is bad. Or the water taste bad. Or the country is run by idiots. Well, some are valid complaints but others are obviously contributed by me (one way or other). For instance, I sweat a lot. I need my room temperature to be at 22-23 degree Celsius. Naturally, in our tropical climate, the only way to achieve this weather during the day is to switch on the air-conditioner. And what do air-conditioner run on? Electricity generated from burning gas and coal, which are non-renewable and pollutes the air.

Can't stand these sights really. I pity the dying grasses.

Source: http://www.greenkeeper.cz/odrudy-trav.php?lang=en

Also, I can't stand seeing the grass and plants dying in my house compound as a result of hot and dry weather. I would make sure it is watered. And we know that during the dry season, water is a scarcity and should be used in moderation. But, no, I would use the clean water running out of the pipe to water it. And my house don't have special storage system to capture those rain waters running off the roof during those rainy days which seemed quite long ago.

Instead of doing my bit to save the environment, I blame the weather. I blame those drivers on the road, our national policy of giving so much benefits to manufacturers (hence many factories here in Malaysia contributing to polluting the air), the government for not providing a better public transportation and et cetera.

Similarly, I can see where the Government is coming from when they argue for reintroducing windfall taxes.

This is something the Government would love to see more but somehow I doubt we will see often once those taxes are introduced

Source: http://www.queercents.com/2007/02/13/tax-refunds-and-other-lump-sums/

It is the fault of the rich who makes excessive profits that there are so many poor. Not only do they drive expensive cars, some actually have 100 cars in their collection. Nevermind that they need one driver at a time to drive one car, the fact that they have 100 of them means they are wasting resources. And where do they get all these monies? Naturally, from their business savvy and acumen in making money.

No doubt aided by repressive laws which undermine workers asking for a minimum wages. Or the fact that in ensuring there are full employment, the Government gave tax breaks to these terrible "robbers of the masses". And let's not get started with those MSC companies which freely employs foreigners (with 10 years of tax exempt status to boot!) where our local skills are found "lacking" or too demanding. Yup, the problem is the rich had it good for far too long and the rakyat expense.

Now you know why I think some blames are definitely unfounded and grounded on selfish thinking while others are definitely valid like 1+1 = 2?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

It is our tendency to get defensive and answer this way, that it was not my responsibility, etc. We have to get out of this mindset to be more positive.

Start with, even though it wasn't my responsibility, what can I do to help?

Then just continue looking for ways to keep helping and initiating positive actions.

You will be a more likeable person overnight!

myop101 said...

Dear bayi,

But still, at times I wonder, why am I the only one doing it while the rest, just don't care?

Chicken Feet aka KaKiaYam said...

err..side track a little bit. Do you know that one should not water any plants when the sun is high? That's why watering must only be done in the late evening and early morning. By watering them when the sun is high will kill them even faster...hehe

myop101 said...

Dear chickenfeet,

No worries friend. I only water the plants later in the evening.