Sunday 2 March 2008

Voting For PAS: Why Is It A Necessity

Unlike Najib’s irrational name calling as a basis to dismiss PAS, I have reasons not to vote for PAS. Being a non-Muslim, rightly or wrongly, I fear that my way of life will be forcefully taken away. I love to worship my Lord, build relationship with Him and read His words. His words, as contained in the Bible, speak to me and it is my source of morality anchor and assurance of hope in living in this fallen world. I fear someday I might have to go underground like the house churches in China and face continuous persecutions all because I wish to fellowship with like-minded Christians. Would my bibles be taken away?

I fear the overzealous of the lot, out of popularity, would call for unreasonable measures like the Nazis, where they forced the Jews to wear the Star of David on their coats to segregate, discriminate and punish the Jews. Would I then be forced to wear a cross to ease the forces of segregation, discrimination and punishment?

But is this well founded fear? Is this fear rational?

Source: http://enarip.blogspot.com/

Back in late 2003 and early 2004, I have an opportunity to go to Terengganu for a job assignment. I managed to speak to the client over lunch and hear out the experience of a native Chinese under the rule of PAS. Deep down inside, I pity these people, afterall, our MSM do paint PAS as an extremist religious party and 911 is still quite fresh in my mind then. Remember the destruction of Buddhas of Bamiyan?

Yet, I was shocked. He actually wants PAS to continue to rule. He said the state government under PAS is fairer than BN. Their ways of life remain unchanged. In fact, a stark distinction he noted is, unlike previous elections, no one came asking for financial support for their election campaign since PAS took to power. How true is his statement I will never know but I am astounded. Open admission of supporting an extremist party? He must be insane. No, no, no. I dismissed it, not realizing I am the one being close minded when I point my finger at PAS for being close minded.

In the 11th general election, I was very happy with what I perceived as wind of change (Mahathir finally gave up his premiership!). I have not heard of Pak Lah being on the take and he seemed honest. In fact, most of the time, one don't hear much about him. His coalition’s election manifesto meanwhile echoed my deepest desire for a fairer, equitable and accountable government for all Malaysians.

But how do I know he is genuine? That was when I heard from my church administrator that Pak Lah has been sending Christmas greeting cards to church pastors. His olive leaf branch, extended in hope of building a greater understanding with the Christian leaders touched me. This gimmick, was never done before. I asked a few Malay friends, what do they think of Pak Lah? They gave glowing remarks. Then I read about ACA investigating 18 high profile corruption cases and Eric Chia of Perwaja fame being charged for CBT! I spoke to my dad but he warned, this is merely sandiwara. He has seen too many elections and he warned me to not waste my vote. But I said to my dad, "Surely you don't want me to vote for PAS?" He then said,"We need opposition in Parliament to check the powers of BN. Absolute power corrupts absolutely." (Oh how I feel sad this day for not listening to his words then).

Anyhow, that was it. I voted for BN despite warnings from my dad and sharing by others. I even rooted strongly for it. I was so glad then when Pak Lah and BN won. The winds of change did come. Sadly, that were not the winds I hoped for.

On the tackling of corruption front, Eric Chia was acquainted of CBT charges. I never heard of the outcome of the 18 high-profile corruption cases. And what else do we hear? The AP issue which “incidentally” creates an entirely monopolistic industry to benefit of a few, the RM100 million paid to Gerbang Perdana for doing nothing (I truly wonder who would drew up this kind of contract not realizing the implication of this clause), leaking roofs in government buildings and the PKFZ bailout!

To make matters worse, my fears of erosion of non-Muslim rights are being affirmed in courts. Remember the Article 11 movement? What did our so-called non-Muslim leaders do? They gave a memorandum to Pak Lah only to be shot down. They then quietly retreat to their holes, never to be heard of again. They just quietly comply to the wishes of their masters. I don’t quite want to repeat the cases but you can read about body snatchers and 2nd class citizenship.

And what about the use of the name of God, where in Arabic and Bahasa Malaysia it is called Allah, there are those who are calling for non-Muslims to be barred from using it. As a Christian, I don’t mind not calling my god Allah, but to confiscate our books meant solely for our own use? Can’t they learn to accept that in allowing others to freely worship and practice their own religions, we should freely read our own religious materials without seeking intervention by a Government who exercise little care and understanding of our religion? And what about the indiscriminate demolition of Hindu temples? This just speaks loudly of arrogance and trampling of minority rights!

To top all these, we have VK Lingam tape to bare to us something we have always suspected. The judiciary is what it is today as a result of judges bending their backs for the sake of BN version of nationhood.

I truly regret ever giving them my vote in the 11th general election.

Source: http://blog.wired.com/27bstroke6/2006/10/

Hence this election is all about atonement of my previous wrong and seeking restoration. Do I not fear PAS and perhaps their own extremist elements? I have my fears but what this “moderate” BN is capable of and what they will continue doing is sufficient to ally my fears of PAS. Also, PAS reassures us by firstly, dropping the open demand for Islamic state.Secondly, they openly endorse The People’s Declaration. Thirdly, the experience and desire of non-Muslims in Kelantan to keep PAS in power speaks very loudly on PAS stronger tolerance and understanding of multiculturalism. Besides that, even if the opposition forms a Government, what can PAS do since they are only contesting in 60 or so parliamentary seats? I believe the rewards far outweigh the risks.

When it comes down to voting either for BN or PAS or not vote at all, only by voting for PAS will show my displeasure and disapproval of BN.

I know PAS lacks resources to put up a nice row of flags and posters in my area. It's ok. I will still vote for your candidate. I am getting my mom to do so too...:)

No comments: