Wednesday 26 March 2008

Let Your Yes Be Yes, Your No Be No

To be honest, the only interviews I ever gotten are job interviews. At times, when I am uncertain on things because I do not have the facts, I would opt to be honest and tell them I don't know. Sometimes, if I find the question rather sensitive, I would try to divert it. Somehow, I believe they sensed I am uncomfortable with those questions and move on to other questions. Such questions are however, seldom raised. But I believe when a sensitive question is asked as it somehow is related to the job I am applying for, I would ask them to clarify and answer accordingly. It is best afterall to clear any doubts in their minds.

Wouldn't it be nice if all government officials wear this badge?

Source: http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2008/3/26/nation/20750152&sec=nation

As such, I find it perplexing when the new Selangor MB, Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim spoke in such non-committal fashion when it comes to the executive committee members and himself making public declarations of their assets held when he was recently interviewed by Malaysiakini. It appears that the new state government has yet to decide on whether this little action, which carries a huge symbolic step forward in projecting an image of upholding a higher degree of transparency and accountability, should be done and when it would be done.

The excerpts are as follow:

The Penang state government has directed its leading government officers to declare their assets publicly.

We'll do it also*. I think we've also made the same statement, but the timing of its implementation will take time.

Will they declare to you or directly to the public?

I'll have to ask my excos first. Some do not want to make their declarations public* for family reasons.


* - Sounds like he is contradicting himself. Am I being overly sensitive?


Even the Barisan Nasional-led federal government is directing cabinet ministers to declare their assets publicly.

Well, it's up to my excos. If they feel they want to make it public, then we'll make it public. But there are reasons for this, because they say they do not want to show their shareholdings to the public**.


** - Is he trying to tell us that the heart is willing but the flesh is weak?


Doesn't that raise questions regarding the excos' transparency?

No, no, no. There's a difference. In some countries they do that. They will give their details, but they do not want it to be public^.But most likely, we'll make it public. I must get their agreement^.


^ - Seriously, who might these Excos be? Are they trying to hide something?

Who is it that may be declaring their assets?

The excos and the menteri besar.


To be fair, he did state they will be most likely to make it public. Let's hope the Exco and MB wise up by committing to making known all their assets held for public knowledge. I am sure some people (Read: BN) will want to know too since it may play to their advantage. But seriously, it is better to be seen to uphold the principles of integrity, honesty and accountability by one's consistent actions and words rather than merely wear a badge or uniform to state one's point. By driving around town with a banner stating I stand with Malaysia-Today.Net, can anyone for sure state that I actually support it?

Being underdogs supported by a surge of protest votes, they should translate these votes into sustainable supportive votes by fulfilling their promises and upholding the principles of good governance and transparency. Time is of the essence as some would say and I hope the Barisan Rakyat-led state governments remember this always as they have less than 5 years to prove they are the Federal-government-in-waiting material.

3 comments:

Bob K said...

I must admit I found the interview pretty disturbing as well. Unfortunately, Khalid isn't the most politically correct person in town. I hope the rest of the EXCO would balance the views a bit.

Seaqueen said...

Another round of interviews and it will never end. Getting really short tempered about all these hoo hah about it.

myop101 said...

Dear

bob k: Yes, we need good news, not more bad news. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

seaqueen: Can't be help. 1 wrong statement and Mr We-Will-Be-Watching already started to capitalise on it.