Thursday 21 February 2008

The Sun Versus Hwa Beng: You Decide!

As I was doing my rounds reading my favourite blogsites, I noticed Lulu has been getting a lot of comments on her entry, Lulu's VERY Concerned For The Churches In Subang Jaya. I have blogged on the same topic earlier and also commented on her blog but I am intrigued by a comment left by Anonymous @ 9.20PM. He mentioned that Hwa Beng said he is misquoted!

I am shocked of course as I for one don't want to wrong anyone especially when I quoted MSM (in this case, the Sun) who might have done sloppy work all for the sake of advertising revenue. So I proceeded to google for Lee Hwa Beng's website and I found his reply. Basically, this is all he wrote in reply to the article published by the Sun.

I have been misquoted in the Sun. MPSJ and the State Government has never asked churches to apply for permits to have churches in shops and factories.

Lee Hwa Beng

Gasp! Really. Hey wait a minute. I feel cheated. Is that all he has to say to refute the Sun? Is he in such a forgiving mood for the error committed by the Sun who basically soiled his name if MSM decided to pluck words from the air all for the sake of pleasing the new controlling shareholder? No, no, no. This will not do. Something is fishy. That is when I decided to post the following in his comment page.

At least some do enjoy mud

Source:
http://www.maysacres.com/pets.htm

(Those bolded indicate correction made)

Dear Mr Lee,

With due respect, if the alleged misquote did occur, may I ask how did the Sun derive direct quotes from you?

“We have not asked them to close down, but to submit their application for permits,” said Lee, adding that such churches have to get a permit to operate from business premises.

Lee said: "If they are on their own land then there is no need for them to apply for the permits for their religious houses, but in the cases of the churches, they need to apply for the permits because they are operating from out of the shoplots in business centres and factory lots in industrial areas."

Are you alleging the Sun place words into your mouth? If that is the case, I am quite sure you should write to the Sun to complain on their shoddy reporting and lack of journalistic professionalism and request that they issue an apology for this error.

Anything less would only constitute double talk and denial of reality. I believe your good name should not be dragged into the pool of mud and being a fellow Christian, your stand on this matter would help to enlighten our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ on whether they made the right choice to cast their votes in support of your candidacy.


Thank you.


Regards,

Choong

Come to think of it, I could have written more. You know, if what he said is true, how come Theresa Kok as reported by the Sun would file an objection to MPSJ's local draft plan in relation to their plan to implement annual permit fee of RM1,000? Perhaps, he is right, MPSJ and the State Goverment has never asked because it is afterall still at drafting stage. Perhaps post March the 8th, they may commence the asking part. Just not now.

I hope he takes note of what I asked and get his name cleared (and post my comment and reply me too!). Otherwise, his rather short denial merely reinforce my perception that he is afflicted with selective memory lost quite prominent displayed during the recently concluded Lingam tape inquiry as well as Mr Big Ears. This is bad considering it is quite severe amongst those who aligned with the outgoing ruling coalition. Tsk, tsk...

3 comments:

Chicken Feet aka KaKiaYam said...

wah...the last i checked, 8.03am, your comments at hwa beng site are still not up. apa dah jadi....i think i may post a short post on it too...to fan out the issue...

by the way, your last comment at lulu's blog was addressed to the wrong person. The sometimes Christian is voon teck ler...

Bob K said...

I left a simple comment when his clarification was first published. I have yet to see it published to date.

The comment I left was :

"For a misquote, there seems to be a lot of details"

I have some further thoughts on this matter here

myop101 said...

Dear

kaki.ayam: yeah lo. Nothing yet. Oh yeah, I corrected it...:) Thanks for the reminder.

bob k: haha... you said it all in 1 sentence.