Thursday 10 January 2008

Our Greatest Fear

Lazying around because today is a public holiday, I decided to watch a movie over Astro entitled, "Coach Carter". This movie has been repeated many times and what I find very profound each time I watch it is an excerpt from a book recited by the character Cruz to show his reformation to his coach, Kenneth Carter, who was on his way leaving the basketball gym touched by how the players voluntarily uphold his tough stand on his players required to be have a minimal GPA of 2.3 despite the school board deciding against his decision to close the gym until these players buck up.

Our greatest fear is not that we are inadequate,
but that we are powerful beyond measure.

It is our light, not our darkness, that frightens us.
We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant,
gorgeous, handsome, talented and fabulous?

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God.

Your playing small does not serve the world.
There is nothing enlightened about shrinking
so that other people won't feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God within us.
It is not just in some; it is in everyone.

And, as we let our own light shine, we consciously give
other people permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our fear,
our presence automatically liberates others.

- Marianne Williamson, A Return To Love


As I read this passage, I felt that perhaps it is true, our greatest fear in life at times is not so much on our abilities but rather the fear of the unknown, disappointment and lost. Perhaps we fear that by sticking out our head, we look weird and out of place and we feel compelled to keep quiet so as we remain faceless in a crowd. I know I fear to a certain degree hence I hesitate in revealing my full identity.

Source: http://www.flickr.com/photos/7152940@N04/1250653688/in/photostream/

Yet interesting times such as this requires that one speak up and put a foot down when injustice are abound. Before I went for the BERSIH and People's Walk rallies in the previous months, I had nagging fear of "what ifs". But I am there not so much bent on destroying properties and lives of others, it was merely peaceful venting of frustration with a system that failed us and showing support to a cause that I felt worthy of pursuing. Which is why this blog was born in the days after 10 November 2007 as my response to the denials and wrongdoings that continue to be perpetrated (though it also took on the role of an open personal diary). How long will this blog be up is something I am not sure since things may pan out in a manner totally unexpected. My only hope is that in the days ahead, I can be less cynical. Will I be an agent of change? This is something I think I will leave it aside. Oh well...

2 comments:

Seaqueen said...

Wow. A very heavy blog to read but what you say is very true. Most things will always be unfair, is whether we really want things to get in our way of being happy as there are some things that we can't do anything much other than pray to God.

myop101 said...

Dear Seaqueen,

It is good to pray but at times, we too must act. Will this beloved nation continue to be blessed? It is up to the people to decide. I do hope a major change will come but somehow, the cynic in me will see things getting worse with no light at the end of the tunnel...