Thursday 6 November 2008

Envy and Pursue

My friend recently told me he has been offered an attractive position in another organisation where he is tasked to set up a whole new unit of which he will act as the head. I am envious of course considering how far he has come but I am glad he has moved so much further ahead.

Unlike him, I never stayed put in one job for long. In my quest for something better, whatever the better is, I have move around in search of a better paying job with greater challenges. Yet at the same time, I yearn for a slower pace of life where I can achieve some sort of work life balance. I have to admit that wherever I move to, there is much to observe and learn. Yet, with more knowledge comes realisation. The impressions I have as an outsider turn insider more often than not changes for the worse; I realised the shiny and beautiful scenes behind the windows I see as an outsider are actually quite limited, tainted and blurred.

I have made a move or two on the basis of simple greed because I felt compelled by impatience to move forward. Besides, the money is good so why not since I have real needs. In fact, when I first bought my house, I am doubtful if I could afford it then when my salary is not enough to cover my basic expenses and at that time, I relied heavily on balance transfers to make do until year end bonus to end up with a clean slate. I know I can be reckless but looking back, I am quite glad I made that impulse buy back then.


Anyway, my other friend once told me that he only makes a move if it is a upward progression as he strongly believes horizontal moves would only provide short term gains. With many changed jobs later and a little reflection, I guess my accidental self experiment proves that point somewhat. I hate it when I recall the I-have-more-experience-in-life look of my everknowing dad repeating that old adage, "A rolling stone gathers no moss" over dinner.

Yet the conflict inside me often makes me wonder if I am at the right position where I am today. Am I doing the right job which long term prospect in mind? I am of course tired of jumping here and there. I don't like the "new guy" label too with all the happy introductions when what I really want to do is just get the job done and go on and do what I want to do; a bit anti-social I must say.

My boss recently told me my next step in progression upwards. Technically, I am better than most people at my current job level in my organisation. But for me to make the next step, I have to step up and take up middle management role. I would have to rely more on my people skills, interaction and dealing with clients i.e. build my own portfolio. Am I truly ready? My heart sort of sank a bit as the room seemed darker and hotter as he uttered those words.

Source: http://www.designedlearning.com/Articles/FeaturedAffiliate/NewsForAChange/Sept1998.htm

I sense he is genuinely grooming and showing concern to me but I can't help but feel somewhat inadequate. The future looked so bleak as I walked to the carpark recollecting the words he spoke to me. Like a blind man reading the stars, where will my future be as I grappled with the surrounding darkness. I have grown comfortable to be lead and to me, the whole aspect of leading is a very fearful prospect. Yet, that is the only progression available from the way he pointed out to me. I wonder if that is really what I want. I wonder if this is an indication of severance under the guise of independence.

Oh well, I just have to walk one step at a time and plan ahead with an umbrella ready should rain start falling. But which path should I take? There are often no road maps and again another adage comes to mind, "Life's a journey, not a destination."

Gosh, I hate adages. What's with these wise people anyway? Do they really have that much free time?

5 comments:

zewt said...

you are ready... and you need that initiation, something which your boss is hinting to you. like your friend said... horizontal movements are only for short term gains....

myop101 said...

dear zewt,

thanks for the vote of confidence. let's just wait and see k...

100wui said...

I can't stop thinking about what I should be doing in the future all the time. I know people always said rolling stone gather no moss. But if you do not try other things, how would you know there is no other route? but then again new route always seem so challenging and hard, yet what is not hard in life?

myop101 said...

@100wui, there must be point in time where you can settle and grow roots. you don't have to conform to what everyone thinks you should do but you must know what you want at the end of the day. the problem with rolling stones is it is neither here nor there. which is why i stayed in this industry and followed the same bosses. also, i have my plan B and C. i have resigned from a job without another job secured before. but don't worry, things will work out. It somehow worked out for me, thanks to God...:)

100wui said...

How do I know for sure plan B and C that I think I want are the ones for me...

What's your plan B and C?