Wednesday 29 October 2008

And It Gets Louder

My family dog, is a very smart golden retriever. Each time when I open the automatic gate to drive my car into the driveway, he will try to dash out to the neighbourhood. I guess the desire for freedom and discovery is great. But he also fears heat. So, me being me, I decided to test my dog one afternoon by driving to the gate. I noticed his head popped up from his afternoon nap and he was looking at my car. He didn't move much really and from that distance and the glaring sun in between, it appeared that he is tied up.

But I know I was previously fooled by his antics so I waited. True enough, patience blew his cover when he stood up and moved near the flower pot. But he was standing right under the shade of the roof. And there was a standoff of sort. Luckily, I am not too stupid myself.

I got out of the car and called out his name. He came running to the gate. He was of course excited. I then clicked the button to open the gate. He quickly moved towards the opening caused by the parting gates. Just then as the gate parted wide enough for my hands to catch hold of him, I quickly grabbed him and pulled the collar. He struggled a bit as he tried his best to run away. At the same time, I had to remind myself not to look at his eyes. Just like those in the picture below.

Source: http://www.moviexclusive.com/review/10promisestomydog/10promisestomydog.htm

After struggling for awhile, he gave up. So he quietly went with me inside so as I can put on the leash.

On other occasions however, he is quite smart too. He once hid behind a column which blocks my view when I drove and stopped just right outside the gates. I was unsure if my mom tied him elsewhere so I waited for awhile but he never made any appearance until I opened the gates.

I guess one cannot outwit a dog all the time and similarly, one should not underestimate a dog's cunning persistence even if it appears cute, innocent and innocuous at other times.

On another note, I notice of late MCA is becoming more vocal in raising issues. From supporting multi-lingual signage, demanding for abolishing the 30% bumiputra equity requirements and reviewing ISA, it seemed that they are not afraid of ruffling some UMNO feathers.

Source: http://lucialai.org/2008/04/21/abolish-isa/

Of course when it comes to Uncle Kit asking MCA and Gerakan to sign a petition to support for a debate on ISA, we don't quite hear much from these loud speakers.

In fact, I am surprised that Chew Mei Fun also made known her stand in supporting the Selangor MB in appointing a woman to helm PKNS. Yet not too long ago, I remembered she once said this in Mandarin.

“If we do not have enough representation in the Barisan Nasional, then to the Chinese community, the lesson of 1969 is sufficient. I think we cannot afford another such scenario.”

It is interesting how lessons can be learnt from defeat. Just like how my family dog used wit and patience to achieve his run for freedom...:)

But of course, each time when I drive towards the front gate, I have made a mental note to myself that the dog would run out and may use all kind of "smart" moves to achieve his goal. Afterall, it is hard to change a dog, what more to deprive him what he truly desires after a long day running round the garden compound.

4 comments:

Logistics Malaysia said...

Great post. Made me chuckle. I like the way you bring in some so-po comments with your canine caper. Good inter-positioning. Point well made.

myop101 said...

dear logistics malaysia,

thanks...:)

Seaqueen said...

Yes. My 2 furkids are exactly the same. Cunning but still cute. Hahhaha!!! And they are both incredible escape artist. Will tell u the story one day when I meet up with u.

100wui said...

Bring Harrier (can't spell his name) out for walk sometimes. He needs a lot of exercises and enjoys fetching (golden retriever are natural fetchers). Then he ll not always trying to run outside...