Wednesday 6 August 2008

Provision till death?

For the past few days, I felt disturbed. In my line of work, character says a lot about a person's credibility and trustworthy. So when my colleague one fine day declares she is not going back to her hometown, she somewhat caught my attention.

Could it be the high petrol prices? Could it be the expensive toll? Could it just be she is too preoccupied with work that she can't visit her family?


Well, it turned out to be yes for the first two questions and no to the third. But there was more. She said unless her dad pays for the petrol and toll, she refuses to go home.

Source: http://www.theserviceguys.net/service.html

Sensing she was somewhat being ungrateful (her house and car monthly loan instalments are paid by her dad), I told her she should pay for it since she has little financial obligations. She said she can't afford it since she has lots of expenses. I am perplexed of course. For a single lady with at least 2K disposal income and not having to pay for rent and car instalments, what has she been doing with her money? I then asked does she provide allowances for her parents? She said emphatically with a no nonsense "no".

So in jest I told her she should just bear the cost since her mom and dad all this while sacrificed a lot to raise her and the least she can do is to visit them. In response to that, she said it is her parents duty to care for her. I told her she is 30 years old, she should care for her ageing parents.

To my shock, she said it is his dad's duty to take care of her instead. Shocked, I then asked,"Till when? Until he dies?" She said,"Yes, and you should not be surprised that this is a usual phenomenon. In fact, you should be prepared since your children will grow up to be like me."

Flabbergasted, I told her that if any of my children expects me to take care of them because it is their rights, I will disown them and publish a full page ad on every MSM and alternative media to state just that.

My other colleagues are equally as shocked to hear that and told her off. She said she felt a bit guilty hearing what we said but after she thought about it, she realised she is right and she even loudly proclaim to us that the truth will prevail and she is on the side of truth.

Source: http://www.dkimages.com/discover/Home/Animals/Invertebrates/Segmented-Worms/Leech/Leech-7.html

I told her that her dependency attitude is very bad for the kind of work we do. So as a "reward", I named her as leech. In fact, I further "rewarded" her by telling her that I will no longer offer her any solutions and it is her responsibility to find her solutions. She said, "As my manager, I hold you responsible for any of my work done poorly because of your refusal to guide me."

In her dictionary, guidance here include pointing out where to find the answers and how to write them based on the questions I raised.

I am not exactly the best son in town. I am sure there are many better filial sons out there than me. But what I can't stand is this "feed-me-because-it-is-my-right" mentality and having one sitting in front of me isn't exactly a very happy sight to see on daily basis.

If you are me, what would you do?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

"feed-me-because-it-is-my-right" is an attitude which is alright, and even expected at 30 weeks.... but at 30 years? Like I said, this woman should be SHOT.

zewt said...

30 and still with this kinda thinking huh....


well, trust me, she is not the first of such kind... i have seen worse.

myop101 said...

dear zewt,

it is sad isn't it? this kind of dependency is ridiculous...

Anonymous said...

gib her a big hard slap for having a 3 year old spoilt mentality

its like a 15year old still need mama milk....she need 2b malu-malukan by the whole office lar

Chicken Feet aka KaKiaYam said...

yo brother, but i think the parents should bear much responsibility for her dependency problem...

myop101 said...

dear

anon @ 12.8.08: her skin is very thick. tried it and doesn't even dent her pride one bit...

kaki ayam: well, if we are talking about genes here, i haven't rule that out...:P