Monday 26 November 2007

I wish to believe

I wish to believe. I seriously do. To trust in something is so important that whether one would derive real or false sense of security hinges on this very trust. For instant, if you entrust your beloved daughter/sister/mother/niece/auntie to a stranger, you are actually leaving their fates to someone who may or may not bring untold harm to them. This act could potentially change lives if you neglect so much as ensuring that the person you entrusted is trustworthy.

So what comes into your mind when you read the following excerpt from the Star Online today under the title, Batu Caves temple property damaged, 69 protesters held?

"Musa said no tear gas or water cannons were used at the demonstrators during the incident."

So which incident is this? It is none other than the Batu Caves incident which Musa described as police having to act on a police report raised by the Batu Caves temple committee to disperse about 1,000 Hindraf protesters gathering there at 2 a.m. on Sunday. Before I proceed, take a hard look at the pictures (or more pics from here) below:


Source: Screenshots

I wonder if the smoke is caused by fireworks and the water is an attempt of police putting out the possible fire caused by the same fireworks. Afterall, the IGP himself claimed no tear gas or water cannons were used.

On the New Straits Times Online today it was reported under the article, IGP: They'd no intent to give memo, we read that:

"We exercised restraint and only used water cannon and tear gas to disperse the crowd. There was no body contact from my men," Musa stressed.

He further added that police picked up 240 people for investigations. I wonder how do they pick them up without any body contact? I guess zorro-unmasked has an answer.



I am at a lost. To whom should I seek for an honest account of the event? A high ranking official of this Government, our daily newspapers or bloggers?

3 comments:

zewt said...

the loca media is getting more and more ridiculous. one thing though, is it true that there is a court order to arrest anyone who attended the rally?

had lunch with some of my former managers today, all indians... and they quite... well.... not very happy about things.

myop101 said...

To zewt:

It is true. The police obtained a court injunction to arrest anyone who participates in the rally. Which is kind of ridiculous considering how pack our detention centres are. Let's not even consider Article 10 of the Constitution on freedom of peaceful assembly. NST btw just spun some sad story of businesses suffering losses. I think to people who can't even secure 2 meals a day, I don't see how they can feel sad for traders making hefty profits for themselves.

Seaqueen said...

Oh well, you know how it is like, always telling the "truth" where they look good but then contradicting themselves again and again. Never ending sad story. I'm ashamed to say I'm a Malaysian when I have to be associated with the M'sian govt.