Friday 23 November 2007

Ungrateful Lot

I am unhappy. Seriously, it was a good day today to spend time with kids. If you are wondering, I do not have my own kids. Heck, I am not even married. Anyway, in this day and age, many have kids without being married.

Here I was busy painting a piece of rock with brushes when I received a call from my sister. She asked me how many cards I need for the wedding invitation. I told her 650 cards as we are going to invite that many people. She said that number is not reasonable because we must not preclude married couples, unmarried but nevertheless couples and so on. I thought about it and I said 500 cards. She said that amount is still too many. I said I have my reasons for it. Now imagine yourself, haven’t touch a single brush since form 3 and attempting to paint a car on a piece of rock with 162 kids while trying to answer a call. It was loud so I replied I still wanted 500 cards. She said I don’t have to be so upset. I should learn to be grateful. I was shocked. Is this fair?


Source: http://fun.loosenutstudio.com/?p=32


One must wonder, what does she mean by ungrateful here? Well, let me draw you a few months back before this conversation started. Back then, I announced to my parents I am going to marry the only serious girlfriend I have been together with for a good 8 years. My parents were happy and my sister volunteered to get my cards printed for free because she said she knew someone who can do it for free. I was glad of course because that would certainly save some money and who would reject the offer.

Now, zoom back to the present where she last ended with I should learn to be grateful. As I was saying, I was shocked. Why? Firstly, I didn’t ask for her to get my cards printed for me for free. Even if she did volunteer to print for me for free, she never told me it is limited. No one should because everyone knows that they would be going overboard if they ask for unreasonable amount of cards.

I know when I mentioned 650 cards it would be unreasonable provided I know for sure who is coming and they will, despite terrible weather, poor road condition, sickness, death threats and et cetera, confirmed to me that they will be there. The problem is I don’t because this dinner banquet involves two families and my other half’s is quite an extended family. Given that her father is also a successful businessman, I am somewhat certain he too, will be inviting a lot of business associates. I dare not be stingy with giving limited cards so I asked for 650. Now, to me, since it is free, perhaps I shouldn’t be asking too much, I decided to ask for 500. To me that is a very reasonable number. And still to be told I am ungrateful and upset? I tried to explain to her that I was not upset but by then, I was upset all because she accused me of being ungrateful. I explained to her in a protest note and midway, the phone was cut off. I tried calling back later and even sent a SMS but as of now, there is no reply. Perhaps she was that busy because she said she couldn’t send my cards design this morning because she is busy rushing out a board paper.

When I checked my e-mail in office (yes, I went back after a full day with 162 kids) earlier, I saw an e-mail to the printer with a message that goes like this:


"Hi Ms X (no name given to protect the identify of the innocent party),

I have attached the file. I hope you can do it… thanks.”


I wonder, am I really being ungrateful or is my sister being unreasonable? Anyway, I wrote to the printer to ask for quotation for 500 wedding cards. I guess by paying for it, I would not run into a dispute as to whether I am grateful or not.

5 comments:

Seaqueen said...

Well, yes. You will always come to this sort of sticky situation when another party is involved in getting free things for you. The dilemma you're in sometimes makes you a grumpy old witch eh?? Anyway, dun worry too much, once the card is out, everyone will ooh and ahh over it. Hahahah!!! :) So then you'll know whatever effort, sweat n toil as well as disagreement because of that will be worth it.

myop101 said...

seaqueen:

Er... Yes as in i am being ungrateful or she is being unreasonable? anyway, i am only upset because she shouldn't have offered any help if she can't really deliver. i wouldn't blame her for not helping because frankly, i feel better that way.

Anonymous said...

Your sister is an odd breed of alien that was displaced here many aeons ago that just now managed to evolve enough to carry on a conversation with someone.

Just pay for it. Then you can show your gratitude the proper way... through money :P

zewt said...

650 is indeed quite a lot. are you going to invite the whole world and then see who is going to RSVP with a 'no'?

good that you have free cards, though it comes with a price besides $$$... i made my own cards... and it's quite headache.

as for your sis.... i think she didnt know what she was getting herself into. haha!

myop101 said...

dear zewt,

650 is a lot. Which is why I reduced it to 500. I do intend to give more simply because I have no control over who to invite from her parents and mine as well. Of course, I have now been termed as ungrateful so it is best I just pay $$$ for it. I think $$$ is well spent if I can preserve my dignity as a person.