Monday 14 December 2009

Between Faith, Christmas & Imperfections

Just the other day, I came across this interesting article on The Nut Graph, "Horror movie does not reflect Christmas message." Basically, Bishop Ng of Christian Federation of Malaysia had issued a statement criticising NTV7 decision to promote The Exorcist III as a "Christmas Special" as contradictory to the message of Christmas. I laughed. I wondered.

For this got me thinking, what is the message of this coming holiday season is trying to convey anyway?

Meanwhile, my company is still in the mood of printing out Christmas cards. But of course, instead of calling it Christmas, they now call it "Seasons Greetings". I wonder why...

To those who are not aware, Hanukkah is also around the corner. But being somewhat anti-Israel, you wouldn't find much support for any Jewish theme in this country. So no menorahs and dreidels. But is wishing "Seasons Greetings" meant being inclusive, just in case you don't miss out somebody?

Source: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=280380679848

As I wonder what this seasons' message is for me, I can't help but sensing a deeper meaning eminating from pages 220 - 222 of Mitch Albom latest book, "have a little faith".

Source: http://www.thetartan.org/system/assets/0002/7101/pillbox_MitchAlbom_KristenSeverson_DSC_0010_small.jpg

Here's a little mix and match extract which I summarised below:

"I deserve hell," he whispered. "The things I've done, God would be justified. God is not mocked. What you sow, you reap...

"...and I may not have reaped all that harvest."

... I don't understand, I said. If you think you're going to be punished-


"Why still serve God?" He smiled weakly. "What else can I do?"


But, Henry, all the good you do here-


"No." He shook his head. "You can't work your way into heaven. Anytime you try and justify yourself with works, you disqualify yourself with works. What I do here, every day, for the rest of my life, is only my way of saying, 'Lord, regardless of what eternity holds for me, let me give something back to you. I know it don't even no scorecard. But let me make something of my life before I go..."


He exhaled a long weary breath.


"And then, Lord, I'm at your mercy."


Yes, Henry may be fornicator, adulterer, thief and drug trafficker before he repented to be a pastor but Mitch rightly put this as he understands more about Henry.

Maybe the first half of his life he did worse than most, and maybe the second half he did better. But that night was the last time I questioned how much Henry Covington's past should shadow his future. Scripture says, "Judge not." But God has the right to, and Henry lived with that every day. It was enough.


As I read that heart warming book, these few pages speak to me, reminding me that this season is not just to be jolly but that message of goodwill to men should not ring hallow. It is a reminder to me that as we are born to die, as the days grow short, we should perhaps learn to let go and live with contentment and accept imperfections both in others and ourselves.

Merry Christmas and good tidings to you and your kin...:o)

No comments: