Sunday 13 July 2008

A Sunday Reflection As We Sing In The Park

What a tiring week this have been.

While the rest of the world talks about impending global recession, I still need to work till late nights. Oh well, I guess some things wouldn't change. *sigh*

Anyway, my church and I took the Sunday school kids for an outing. It was quite enjoyable for the kids (I have to take care of three young and active boys so you can imagine the "joy" I had) and it is certainly refreshing to praise and worship the Lord in the park. The sound of children singing somehow conveys the message of innocence which this world is increasingly lacking. It wasn't a long worship (about 15 minutes) but for that short moment, the joy of knowing and having a relationship with your Creator and singing alongside the future generation sure beats the e-mails I keep getting on my Blackberry reminding how entrenched I am in the secular world.

Anyway, I realised I have been serving in the children ministry in my church for about 4-5 years now. It is amazing considering how much love-hate relationship the kids and I have. To them, I am an easy prey to be bullied. To me, they are a bunch of critters needing to be taught on a topic they dread. Haha... just kidding...

To be honest, I took up the challenge because I know the foundation of truth must be imputed when they are young. I don't go for "you must do this otherwise you go to hell" approach. Instead, I tried teaching them the context of approaching life with biblical values so as they learn to make decisions based on reasoning and considering the pros and cons. I know between 10-12, not many could make life changing decisions, but if you are reduced to "I don't want to friend you" decisions, it can be quite stressful for kids (or at least so I think). What more those are at the threshold of teenage years and many might engage in sex out of curiosity/peer pressure?

Source: http://theyreourchildren.blogspot.com/2007/06/child-health-day_05.html

Reminds me of myself when I wanted to smoke at 5 years old because I thought it was cool. I did try it then, out of curiosity of course, only to taste the bitter taste plus the overpowering and suffocating effect of smoke going down your throat. Yes, you might wonder how I manage to get a hold of a cigarette. Well, I picked up what's left of what people threw and tried it. I have to admit, at 5, I don't think I can be called to make intelligent and rational decisions though I wonder whether much have changed since then. *wink*

Source: http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/books/2007/04/what_are_first_editions_worth.html

Sometime during the week, I received an e-mail about children suffering acute hunger and poverty in Africa and Asia. There was a picture of a desperate boy drinking and showering in cow's pee due to acute drought, while another picture of a dying boy crawling to the food relief centre being trailed by a vulture (see the picture above). The first thing that went through my mind was, hopelessness and numbness. Am I living too comfortably to notice the suffering around me? Well rather than engaging in an intellectual struggle, I decided today I will sign up a child sponsorship programme under World Vision Malaysia.

Yes, I am guilty of trying to lessen my feeling of guilt and helplessness. But if this monthly RM50 commitment will bring about economic changes to the child, why not? At least that is RM50 less monthly wasted on what I want rather than what I need.

I wonder what lies ahead. I dread of tomorrow, not just because it is working Monday, but that as I grow older, I am more cynical to what I see happening out there. Will there be innocence and compassion left to a world sorely needing it when I wake up tomorrow?

Lord, tarry no more as your creation is groaning with much labour pangs...

2 comments:

Chicken Feet aka KaKiaYam said...

fren, heard of you and your late nights...

glad that you will be contributing to World vision. I am still considering whether to enrol in the child sponsorship too...

I went to the World Vision One revolution in DUMC after service and was touched with the plight of a Cambodian girl...

take care...

myop101 said...

Dear kaki.ayam,

Good news! I will be getting the photo of the child I am sponsoring and his/her profile by snail mail soon...:)

You take care too...:)